Applications for the 2019 Albert P. Weisman Award open October 18!
For Columbia College students, the completion of a significant body of work marks the passage from experimentation and exploration, to making a singular artistic statement.The Weisman Award is intended to help advanced undergraduate and graduate students complete a substantial media-based project that is already underway. Work samples that demonstrate the concept and purpose of the project will form an important part of the application.
The Albert P. Weisman Award is made possible by the generosity of the Weisman family, the Weisman Committee and the many friends of Albert P. Weisman who donate both time and resources to make this award possible. Winners of the award received $2,000 with half of the award distributed at the beginning of the award cycle (early February) and half will be distributed in August. The Weisman Exhibition and Screening will take place in November.The application and judging process will remain essentially the same. Funds will be awarded to projects determined by quality of concept, skill level, accuracy of budget, and likelihood of completion.
Application deadline December 1, 2018 at 11:59pm
- Juniors, seniors, and graduate students currently enrolled at Columbia College Chicago.
- Undergraduate students must have completed 60 or more credit hours by the end of the Fall Semester.
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits in both the Fall semester in which they apply and the following Spring semester.
- Graduate students must be enrolled for credit in both the Fall semester in which they apply and the following Spring semester in which winners receive their awards.
- The Weisman Award is a yearly award. Applications open in September and close in December.
- Students complete and submit applications with work samples and request recommendations from faculty.
- The Weisman Committee convenes and reviews all applications.
- Winning applications are announced in January/February of the award year.
All students are required to attend an info session.
- Each award is $2,000. No receipts will be required for reimbursement.
- During award period, recipients will receive information about using receipts for tax deductions.
- The first $1,000 of the award money is disbursed in February of the award year.
- The second $1,000 of the award is disbursed the following August. Award monies are disbursed upon submission of a digital copy of the winning project to the Weisman archive, and student participation in the Weisman Exhibition (Fall).
- Projects must be completed by August 2019.
- All projects must be represented at the Weisman Award Exhibition for that year.
- All projects must be made available in digital form for submission to the Weisman Archive.
- Each project must explicitly credit the support of the Albert P. Weisman Award at Columbia College Chicago
The Albert P. Weisman Award was established in 1974 to encourage Columbia College Chicago students to complete a significant body of work. The Award is named after the late Al Weisman, a trustee of the College and one of Chicago’s best known and respected communicators. Mr. Weisman was a journalist, publicist, teacher and mentor to many. The Weisman Award is intended to perpetuate his commitment to nurturing interest and excellence in all aspects of communication.